Topics in Indian Philosophy
- Karma, Dharma & Moksa: Introduction to the three main aspects of Indian philosophy.
- The Persistence of the Self: Does the Self perish after death?
- The Self in Indian Philosophy: Summary of the major arguments for the existence of a Self.
Descartes and the Defence of Reason
- Certainty and the Cogito: Discussion of Descartes’ famous adage: I Think therefore I am.
- God’s Existence: A look at Descartes’ proofs of the existence of God.
- Descartes’ Sceptical Challenge: How can we slay the Malicious Demon?
- Problems of atomic motion: Overview of Epicurean atomic theory.
- The Stoic theory of universals: What is the connection between the things that are in the world and the content of our consciousness?
- Epicurean arguments for Hedonism: Is Epicurus’ theory of hedonism defensible?
- Relativism: Introduction to ethical relativism.
- Utilitarianism: Some thought about two types of utilitarian ethics.
- Friendship: Can modern ethical theories account for friendship?
Origins of Modern Philosophy
- Innate Ideas: Is our mind a Tabula Rasa or Veined Block of Marble?
- External World: Is our belief in the external world rational?
- The problem of induction: Is Karl Popper’s idea of falsification a solution to Hume’s problem of induction?
Values & the Meaning of Life
- The dangers of philosophy: Is philosophy a dangerous activity?
- Religion as a vehicle for meaning: Can religion provide a solid foundation for meaning?
- Life after death: If there is no life after death, is this earthly life then meaningless?