This is a collection of essays on sociology topics written as part of an undergraduate course in Arts.
Myth, Ritual and the Sacred
- Phenomenology of Religion: Short introduction to the phenomenological study of religion.
- Religious Experience: Summary of the different types of religious experience.
- Initiation Rituals & Rites of Passage: A look at Rites of Passage and how they function in contemporary culture.
- Elements of Shamanism: Brief study on the various elements typical of shamanism.
- Uluru. as a sacred space: Analysis of Uluru. as a sacred space to the Anangu.
- Sacred Spaces in Bendigo: Comparative analysis of the Bendigo Joss House and the Sacred Heart Cathedral in Bendigo.
- Sociological Imagination: About the purpose of Sociology in the eyes of C. Wright Mills.
- A Life History: An exercise in the interaction between biography and history.
- Breakfast & Culture: About the cultural content of breakfast.
- Cultural Identity: Are we able to choose our own identity?
Sociology of Identity
- Goffman and Marcuse on Identity: Analysis of Erwin Goffman’s and Herbert Marcuse’s approach to identity.
- The Influence of Mental Disorder on Identity: How does being labelled with mental disorder impact on identity?
Material Culture & Commodity Culture
- Adult Bookstore: Semiotic analysis of Insight Adult Books in Bendigo.
- The commodification of sexual desire: Analysis of pornography in contemporary culture.